This week I have been busy creating table runners for a local craft show that I take part in each year. I have been working on a new runner to showcase which is made with reversible sides and a hand painted snowflake on the ends. It turned out so pretty that I decided to share how to make this runner with all of you. Hopefully you will enjoy its beauty in your home during the holiday season as we have in ours.
To make this craft I used the following items
Martha Stewart Stencil Brush Set 3/Pkg- Plaid Crafts
Martha Stewart 32250 Cut Your Own Adhesive Stencil Paper
Martha Stewart 32226 Transfer Paper (optional)
Martha Stewart 32014 2-Ounce Acrylic Satin Paint, Pool
Martha Stewart 32185 2-Ounce Acrylic Glitter Paint, Sugar Cube
Martha Stewart Crafts Knife
2 yards Premier Prints unprinted birch fabric
2 yards ZigZag Girly Blue/Twill fabric
With the above items I was able to make three identical runners if I cut the materials properly.
The method I used:
- Begin by folding your fabric with the selvage edge together. Cut about 1″ off and discard the selvage edges.
- Measure 18″ width and make another cut. You want your fabric to be 18″ wide by 72″ long. You should be able to yield 3 fabric strips.
- Repeat the first two steps with the second fabric pattern.
- Choose one strip from each fabric pattern, place them with the right sides together.
- Sew a 1/2″ seam all the way around the fabric, leaving one short end un-sewn so you can turn the runner the right side out.
- Turn the fabric right side out and iron both sides to press your seams.
- Fold the open ends inward to create a seam and iron to hold.
- Sew another 1/2″ seam all the way around the runner on the right sides.
Painting my Runner
- Begin by making your stencil. I made a snowflake but you can do any pattern you choose.
- Print the pattern of your choice on regular printer paper (I found my design by using a search engine for “snowflake stencil printable”)
- You can either use the transfer paper and transfer the image to your stencil paper to cut out or simply place the paper on top of the stencil paper and trace the image with your craft knife.
- Once your stencil is cut, place it on your runner where you choose.
- Using your stencil brushes, tap the paint straight down over your stencil making sure all of the open spaces are painted.
- Follow your main paint with the glitter paint in the same manner.
- Repeat to the other end of the runner. The stencil can be used many times.
- Carefully remove the stencil and allow to dry.
That’s it! Now you can showcase your work on your table for your holiday feast and everyday up until then. If for some reason you don’t want to make this beautiful runner yourself you can always hop on over to our store and just buy one. 🙂
Happy Crafting! <3 Dick and Jane
Do you have a Thrilling Thursday craft to add? Add a link to your blog post in the linky below after you’ve left a comment on this post and add this button to your blog post!”
<a border=”0″ href=”http://
thebloggerconnection.com/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http:// www.thebloggerconnection.com/ wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ TBC_Crafters_hop_button.jpg“/></a>