Last year at this time my family and I were escaping the chill of the Michigan climate while spending time in warm, sunny Florida. Unfortunately, we could not make plans to go again this year (which I am totally sad about). So as I am sitting here freezing and remembering the warmth of the sun, I am compelled to bring a little bit of sunshine into my household today.
While we were in Florida, we visited Disney for the first time. Wow, right! It was amazing and not only the rides, sites and sounds, but also the food. While we were basting away in the bright summer sun (and getting pretty hot, but I promise not to complain about being hot too) we came across a stand selling ice cream with pineapple on it. I am normally not a fruit and ice cream mixer. I mean, I like fruit and I like ice cream, just not normally together. However, this treat was unlike anything I had ever had before. So, while I promise this is nothing as good at the real deal it did bring back some good memories and tasted pretty good too.
Homemade Pineapple Ice Cream
Made using a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can pineapple juice
1. Begin by mixing the milk, sugar and salt in a medium bowl using a whisk.
2. Continue to combine until the sugar is dissolved
3. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
4. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
5. Meanwhile, place the can of crushed pineapple, juice from 1 lemon and lime into a blender or food processor.
6. Blend the mixture down to a pulp.
7. Place the blended mixture into a freezer bag and place into the freezer while the mixture chills in the fridge.
8. After the mixture has set in the fridge for 1-2 hours, remove the mixture and pour it into an already turned on ice maker.
9. While the mixture is thickening pour 1/3 of the freezer fruit into the ice cream maker as well.
10. Once you have the desired consistency, serve your ice cream topped with remaining pineapple freezer mix and pineapple juice poured over.
And if any of my readers are from Florida, please send the warmth my way.
<3 Dick and Jane